Contributors

Monday, October 30, 2017

Stuff I Hear On NGEN Radio

I've come across a lot of new jams thanks to my new favorite radio station in H-Town (Houston Texas) called NGEN Radio. It's been around, online stream, but for the last year or 2 it's had an FM signal! 91.1 (Lake Jackson) and 91.7 (Houston). I switch back and forth between those on my Car radio tuner as the signal gets stronger or weaker depending on where I am. But we finally have a place where artists like Lecrae, Tedashii, the Reach Records fam, lots of other mainstream Christian music, and some underground hit singles as well! Finally! Because I remember the days when Christian Rap and Hip Hop night (almost midnight) shows were the only shot that some of my favorite local H-Town Gospel Rap/Positive/Inspirational Artists could get any radio play! Power Radio (Sypreme), Eyes On Me Radio (Tre9), Life Radio Show (DJ DMD and DJ Overflow) were shows I tuned into from time to time! Chris Chicago from Jam The Hype is the new program director for NGEN Radio! I love hearing him and Angela! All of the DJs really! The station is so unique! They really have been a blessing to H-Town! NGEN is usually at the big CHH concerts! They were at the Andy Mineo, Wordsplayed, and Social Club Misfits concert I attended at Warehouse Live in Houston Texas. Chris and Angela left in a hurry so that they could play music by Andy Mineo on air for the rest of the night. I also went to Power The Tower at the Revention Music Center which had Manafest and Gawvi! I loved that H-Town mix Gawvi put on (chopped and screwed voice). Plus way before NGEN had an FM signal, I went to Boomin By The Bay at Kemah Boardwalk (Saw Von Won and Manafest). Sadly I missed the Lecrae concert that was way packed. But I saw Derek Minor, Tedashii, and World Rejects at Discovery Green in Houston (not far from where everything else is like the Warehouse Live, George R Brown, the Rockets stadium, Minute Maid Park). I think Von Won performed as well, with Lil Sizzle (From their old Kingz Camp group) That Ray Jasper story on Life Radio was powerful!
Listen to the Ray Jasper story:
https://www.mixcloud.com/LifeRadioShow/ray-l-jasper-life-radio-show-tribute/

Past Eyes On Me Radio show recordings:
https://soundcloud.com/eyes-on-me-radio

I would like to see NGEN Radio play LitaRodi, Von Won, Tre9, Sypreme, S.O.M. (Soldiers On A Mission), Gifted Da Flame Throwa, CYClone, and more... Although many of them still don't get their music played on the radio. Von Won was a promotion manager there for awhile, and was a voice on the radio for a little bit though. And one artist I heard of called Qheem The Redeemed got his song Jesus Or Nah played on there. They also play a local artist/producer called Kevmo. My friend AJ who is a new producer/artist met Kevmo at McDonalds in Santa Fe Texas afew years back. The NGEN Radio station format is pop/rock/hiphop so they have to switch/mix up the music style/sounds and can only fit a certain amount of music into their playlist for each day. And like any radio station, they play the Top 10-20 singles that listeners vote for radio play. But I most definitely appreciate/love/and am excited about this station, as it promotes Kingdom Music (Kingdom, kind of like Canton Jones Kingdom Business , meaning music that glorifies/honors Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior). Many of the artists that they play on NGEN have some sort of connection/collab with the artists I like (and promote at HotRapMix.Com). I've been introduced to new hit singles which I'll list here so you guys can check them out and maybe buy them too! I remember the early days of NGEN when it first released! They had maybe afew hundred likes on their Facebook page, then like 1000+ fans/followers, and it's only gained momentum since then! They are now reaching the Houston area, making an impact on the city! Now anyone in a car can tune in randomly to NGEN and hear a bunch of Jesus Music! (Jesus Music is the name of a popular old school Lecrae song ft Trip Lee).

Back when I first got into CHH (Christian Hip Hop), I heard Jesus Muzik by Lecrae. Heard Our World Redeemed by Flame in the brown youth van on the way to Discovery Camp (a summer time place of fun waterslides, funny videos on big screens, go carts, horseback riding, staying the weekend in a bunk bed, breakfast/lunch/dinner served in The Blue Jean Café (Christian Rock and Rap music videos on the big screens while everyone talks and eats), music played outside on the loudspeakers while teens would play volleyball and do all that other fun stuff, praise and worship, & hearing speakers talk about Salvation and Baptism of The Holy Spirit). At that same place where Discovery Camp is, there is also a bible school called Texas Bible Institute. I attended there 2009-2011 when they still had the 9 month program. Now they have 2 four month programs. A Discipleship school and Leadership school. I met some people who rap there, also some fans of CHH that introduced me to artists they liked that I never heard of before! Christian Rap has been around, even before I ever got into it. But it's grown from where it was then, and to now! Continuing to grow! Thanks to dudes like Sketch The Journalist, I've learned some of the history of CHH, and learned about the guys from Grapetree Records and other vets. Honestly I think a lot of these guys should write some books or get on some podcast to talk about about their experiences! Especially since some of them are retiring/have retired (like Tre9) and passed the torch off to younger folks (although they are never too old to rap, and bring out a new hit from time to time, when they got some time, there's plenty of good bedroom producers these days. We could learn a thing or 2 from a book (with pictures and words)/audio book (for those who like to listen), might discover some other Christian rappers, and could learn from their mistakes/successes.